Trying to cut out white foods like rice, pasta, and bread? You can use these products as substitutes.
Pasta and Rice.
A good substitute for pasta is a product on the market called “Shiratake” a Japanese noodle made of soluble plant fiber and soy. They are low in calories, carbohydrates and come in a variety of pasta shapes. Think angel hair, fettuccini and even rice. What’s more, they are virtually tasteless and take on the flavors of the dish you are preparing—Italian, Asian, etc.
Bread and Crackers.
You can use vegetables to take the place of bread and crackers. For example use cucumber slices, and red, yellow or orange peppers in place of crackers. Create a sandwich out of lettuce leaves. Iceberg lettuce, butter lettuce, and red and green leaf lettuce make excellent wraps. Take one or two leaves and lay them out flat, then fill them with slices of turkey, chicken or tofu, tuna and salmon, tomatoes, red onion, and your favorite mustard or salsa. Roll it or fold it up like a burrito.
I try to exercise a few days a week. Why am I not losing weight?
Losing weight isn’t easy. Here are the basic steps we all must adhere to when we want to lose fat:
• Try is a lie. Make the decision: I will lose weight
• Schedule your daily exercise: this means 6 days per week, written down in your calendar
• Mix things up. Cardio, resistance, flexibility training are all important components of re-shaping your body composition. Add cross training into your schedule to keep your body working hard and guessing.
• Write it down. Write down everything you eat and drink throughout the day. Studies show that people who do this not only lose weight, they keep it off.
• Calories count. Do not exceed 1500-2000 calories per day. It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. A quick walk or moderate jog of three miles burns about 300 calories. Cut 200 calories from your diet (a glass of wine and a slice of bread) and you’ll hit a 500-calorie per day reduction, enough for a pound a week!
• No excuses. Take responsibility for your success or failure. Own this process. Make the time. It’s your life.
• Get excited! You can do this!